Monday, August 25, 2008

The attack of the killer jalapenos...

Tonight I decided to make black beans and rice for supper. It was a new recipe and called for two jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped... no biggee, right? WRONG!!

Usually when I am working with jalapenos, I put on some gloves to do the chopping because the oils in the pepper really burns. Well, I was working fast, had a toddler running in between my legs the entire time I was cooking and just got to chopping without thinking about it. Lord have mercy!! Within minutes, my fingers are on fire! I must have reached up and touched under my nose as well because my nostrils felt like I had just inhaled pure gasoline or something! I run into the living room to tell Josh of the serious pain I was feeling. Of course, he just looks at me and says "Well, don't do that" - infuriating!

So, I am slaving away in the kitchen feeling like I had just dipped my hands and nose into a vat of acid or something. I then go to look in the mirror and my entire upper lip is bright red - quite disturbing! I tried lemon juice, milk, vinegar, orange juice, finger nail polish remover - nothing helped ease the pain!!

I now vow to never cook anything again that calls for jalapenos! To top it off, the dang black beans and rice gave me heart burn so I ended up taking tums and burping all night! Stupid jalapenos!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, Jennifer! Not good. I'll learn from your lesson!

Rebekah said...

Yikes! Those really were almost killer jalapenos!!! You crack me up! I don't cook with them much because I do not like my food to be too spicy. So, I did not know that they could literally burn your skin! Note to self...watch out for the peppers!