Saturday, November 29, 2008

Two weeks with two kids under 2!

I haven't posted anything since Julie arrived. I have had my hands full trying to recover from surgery, getting to know my new little girl and trying to pay extra special attention to Joshua. So far, we are adjusting pretty well. Joshua has been really good with Julie. Sometimes he is really interested in what she is doing, other times he completely ignores her. He likes to climb up next to me and watch me change her diaper, and he loves to hold her. He points at her when she cries and looks at me with a very concerned look, like he is saying "you better do something about this mom." I was afraid Joshua would act out to get attention once we brought Julie home, but he has been really good. The hardest part really is not being able to pick Joshua up. The doctor says I should wait until 6 weeks after delivery before I fully pick him up. He is still sleeping in a crib and still in diapers so getting him into the crib for naptime or onto the changing table to change him has been challenging. You don't realize how much you pick up your kids until your not supposed to do it anymore.

Julie is a really good baby. She is sleeping most of the time still, and does pretty well at night. We had our first pediatrician visit and Julie weighs over 7lbs now. She also had her pictures taken which she did not like at all - I think she was objecting to being naked and cold more than to the fact that she was getting her picture taken. She is a sweet baby girl and is a perfect little addition to our family.

Thanksgiving was low key this year. We stayed at home and just relaxed as a family. However, I did cook a turkey with all the fixin's for my hubby. I could have opted out of cooking this year, but last year at Thanksgiving Josh was still in Colorado finishing up school and I was in Arkansas and he was quite depressed about not getting Thanksgiving dinner and being away from us. So, this year, I wanted to make sure Josh got his Thanksgiving favorites with our new little family.

All in all, these last two weeks have been an adjustment, but have gone really well. It is pretty exhausting getting very little sleep at night and trying to keep up with a toddler during the day, but it has also been fun. I am so humbled by how truly blessed I am to have two healthy kids and a wonderful supportive family.

1 comments:

Katie said...

Jennifer,
Happy Thanksgiving! Good for you for cooking. I'm glad baby Julie is a good one for you. ; )

I'm sure life will only get easier every day.