Tuesday, January 13, 2009

War with Weight

So, as everyone knows I just had a baby and although my precious baby girl is an absolute joy and I wouldn't trade her for the world, she has left me quite a bit of weight to lose. It is always a little bit depressing for me after my babies are born because I no longer have an excuse to be fat. I was much more conscious of my weight gain during Julie's pregnancy than I was when I was pregnant with Joshua. I worked out until my 8th month and ate pretty well, but let's be honest here, pregnancy makes you hungry and I loved to eat before I got pregnant so putting the two together doesn't make for being one of those skinny pregnant women who walk out of the hospital in their pre-pregnancy pants - grrrhh!

Anyway, I managed to lose all the weight that I gained when I was pregnant with Joshua, but for some reason I am more discouraged about it after having Julie. It is probably due to the fact that I was just starting to look like my normal self again when I got pregnant with Julie and the fat cycle started all over again. The thing is I am really disciplined about exercising, but not so disciplined when it comes to eating healthy. I, of course, love all things bad for you and if I have a choice between a cheeseburger and a salad, I am most likely going to go for the cheeseburger. I also love to cook and have growing boys (my husband included) to feed which makes dieting a bit of a challenge. I recently tried the South Beach diet. I made it through one week of phase 1 on the diet and was so constipated (TMI - sorry!) from eating all that protein that I couldn't stand it. Josh was not to happy with the menu either - he kept asking me why the rest of the family had to suffer just cause I was on a diet - he followed this complaint with the statement that I look great and don't need to lose weight. He was being sweet, but I know he really just wanted to eat something other than broccoli and chicken :)
I was just wondering if any of you moms out there have any good weight loss tips that will help me shed the pregnancy pounds, but not jeopardize my milk supply (breastfeeding momma)? I just want to get back to my old self (and my old pants) as fast as possible! Any insightful tips would be much appreciated!!

1 comments:

Lynn said...

Hey Jen! I'm a bf momma still at one year and I've lost all my pregnancy weight and then some. Since you are bf I wouldn't be so strict with your diet, but instead be more consistent with doing cardio and weight lifting combos. Try to eat healthy, but you still need to take in some fat if you are bf, to pass on to baby girl. You don't want to lose too much too fast, because that can release toxins into your milk. BFing burns 500-800 calories a day, so it'll come off.